Thursday, June 30, 2011

Beer Battered Chicken Fried Soul

I know I'm from Dallas, which doesn't really qualify "rural" or "southern," but there is something about southern culture that really resonates with me. When I was out walking with Elle earlier this week through the streets of her neighborhood in Nashville, we were talking about this phenomenon and decided I have a little bit of a beer battered chicken fried soul. I love big wrap around porches, iced tea, cobbler, BBQ and all the other entrapments of southern culture. Not to mention bluegrass music and the blues; I could sit around listening to live music every night of the week!

In other words, Nashville is my kind of place. Nashville has a very big personality and we really get along great.

We spent most of our time hanging around Hillsboro village, filling our time between meals by wandering through the shops there, the antique shops down on Franklin, and a few plantation and mansion tours. It's a good thing we flew or I'd have had a hard time leaving some of the treasures we found behind at the shops. As it is, my souvenirs from this trip consist of a few books picked up at a neat locally owned used bookstore and some poorly lit iPhone pictures to post for y'all!

This is the cute little used book store we found on our first day and got lost inside for a while exploring their shelves! They had so many neat old books, and I picked up a few to take home and add to my collection. I'm a big Barbara Kingsolver fan, so I picked this up to be my next read.


On Tuesday we toured the Belle Meade Mansion, I think the carriage house and horse stables were my favorite part of the grounds, and for sure the most meticulously kept part of the original buildings. The property was famous for its thoroughbred horses so it's not surprising that the buildings are still in such great shape. They are displaying an interesting collection of old carriages in there now.


Later I met up with Elle at the Farmers Market. It was a fun atmosphere and in a gorgeous setting, Servier Park. I felt like I was crashing a picnic! It was nice to wander around the different vendors and listen to some live tunes. I also have pictures of the Grilled Cheeserie, what a neat idea!


This is the cute little Provence Bakery where I wrote my last blog post, before signing off and getting a pedi and then enduring a two and a half visit of Vanderbilt! Made me want to go to Vandy though, what a beautiful campus! Anyways, this is my not so great quiche, goes to show looks can be decieving.


Well after that, my phone died, so these are all my pictures! Anyone surprised that its mainly pictures of food and books?

No comments:

Post a Comment