Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Manchester, England

 Three observations about Manchester: first off, there are tons of school boys running around in suits smoking cigarettes; secondly, Nero coffee owns half of the real estate here; and thirdly hundreds of tourists looking for street signs must be run over annually by trains or buses because they don't slow down and street names are posted high up on buildings if there is a sign at all!

Initially I was very unimpressed with Manchester, but then I wandered around the Manchester Art Gallery and started to warm up to her, and then I found the shopping district and decided we would get along just fine. 

I actually sat in a park to the scene of a local festival with very poor quality music and wrote a very lukewarm blogpost about Manchester earlier today,  but after spending the rest of the day exploring the city my attitude has changed quite drastically. 

I've just now found my way back to the hotel to rest my feet for a minute before heading back out to continue exploring and hunting down a spot for dinner!

For all of you reading this mid-workday and thinking "it's five o'clock somewhere" I say yes it is, in Manchester! I saw several promising looking places for wining and dining for this displaced foodie to dine at solo tonight. I hope to find someplace with a fun atmosphere, aka good people watching to keep myself entertained! 

I'm headed back out to do some more window shopping and dinner research, let's hope I don't turn into a Layne-sicle walking back home tonight, it's already starting to get chilly out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment